History

Putnam County Public Library District
Mission Statement

The mission of the Putnam County Public Library District is to serve the community with efficient and effective access to informational, educational, cultural, and recreational materials and services in varied formats and technologies. In responding to community needs, the library emphasis is on providing a positive atmosphere for life-long learning and reading while upholding the public’s freedom of access to information.

History of the Library

According to recorded history, interest in forming a library in Putnam County dates back to 1916.   By 1932, the Putnam County Library was organized as a state demonstration project, a pioneering effort for library service in Illinois.  The demonstration was so successful that the library became legally funded with tax support in 1938.   The library operated as Illinois’ only county library until 1995, when the county library was successfully converted to the Putnam County Public Library District.  District status afforded the library more opportunities to better serve the community under Illinois Library Law.  The district library operates with a library headquarters in Hennepin, and five branch sites in the villages of Granville, Standard, McNabb, Magnolia, and Putnam.  The Putnam County Public Library District is a member of the Prairie Area Library System.